Thursday, March 26, 2015

My top ten musical influences:

My top ten musical influences:


Many people have asked me through social media about my musical influences. I tried to compile a list of the artists I always revisit in my IPOD to study over and over again. Of course, there will always be people left out because my musical influences are very broad. I have listened to everything I could get my hands on throughout my life, no matter the style or artist. I think that we can all learn something from anyone.
As a composer, I think this is a key element. If we adapt ourselves to listening to all kinds of music without judgments or biased point of views, we can learn something new. In the long run you will find yourself gravitating towards a specific artists or a few, by that point you will most likely have developed a voice of your own, but we will get to that on another post.

Here’s my list of all-time favorite artists/musicians and a link to a favorite song, I will also explain the reason why.

                                 1.     Ludwig van Beethoven



Source: http://lucare.com/immortal/

This is where it all started for me as a pianist. I was trained in classical music and from all the beautiful classical pieces I had to learn, I always ended up in this specific pianist. His work is essential to know for anyone out there, even if you don’t play piano. The way Beethoven harmonized his pieces will help you see many new ways of harmonizing your own music. The patterns in the left hand used throughout his work are very effective warming up exercises I use randomly anytime I have a show. I've memorized many of his compositions, but my favorite one to play and study is:

Sonata No. 8 Op. 13 (Pathetique)


                                   2.     Francisco Cespedes



Source: http://www.postiar.com/post/8627/pancho-c%C3%A9spedes-francisco-cespedes-complete-discography.html

From a very early age I was introduced to this master Cuban jazz singer. I became interested in Jazz because of his music. The way his songs touch your soul has no comparison. A great crooner indeed and a songwriter that knows how to twist your heart and make you feel deep emotions. I have learned every single one of his songs and even had the immense pleasure of playing live shows with his band.


Que hago contigo


                                        3.     Michael Jackson



Source: http://www.onextrapixel.com/2009/06/30/13-photos-and-illustrations-to-pay-a-tribute-to-the-king-of-pop-michael-jackson/

I’m pretty positive a lot of you reading this also love this artist as I do. He forever changed the meaning of Pop Music with his originality. However, I always find myself going back to a song which has made me cry many times because of the amount of energy and sadness I receive from this song. Even before speaking any English, I could feel every word of this song breaking my heart one at a time. Learn this song and study it, you will find a new path to your musical heart.

Earth Song


                                          4.     George Benson



Source: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/taste-of-black-columbia-featuring-grammy-winner-george-benson-hosted-by-celebrity-chef-daniel-thomas-tickets-6150278649

The moment I discovered this masterful guitarist, I knew I had to get a closer look at his beautiful compositions. I also learned many of his guitar licks on the piano and tried to re-play them along with his albums in my house as close as possible. The improvisation techniques I saw in his playing are out of this world, and the way he connects his ideas are very coherent.

Masquerade

                                              5.     Kenny G




Source: http://blog.pennlive.com/go/2011/12/strand_theatre_hosts_smooth_ja.html

It was tough to learn Jazz in the beginning. I would get so frustrated at myself because I knew I could play more than my brain was processing at the time. That is until I heard Kenny G’s music. I started learning his music and gained new and easy insight into this Jazz language I had no clue about. There are many beautiful arrangements I like from this artist, but there’s one in particular that totally opens up my inspiration every time.

The music that makes me dance

                                        6.     Alejandro Sanz



Source: http://us.hola.com/biografias/alejandro-sanz/biografia/


This is the artist I keep going back to since childhood. I was forever scared by his music in a good way. There are just too many songs that I would recommend, but there is one in particular that I think remodeled Spanish Pop music and served as a guideline for many other artist later on. This song’s harmony is a must learn! You have to get your hands on this song and rip it apart, there’s so much musical wisdom and street smart ideas here that I can’t even begin to count.

Cuando nadie me ve




                                         7.     Brian Culbertson



Source: http://www.mtv.com/artists/brian-culbertson/

This amazingly funky, incredibly insightful and just totally awesome pianist made me realize Smooth Jazz was a very respectable Genre and I needed to make my music with this intention. This pianist can relax your mind and calm your spirit like few other artists can. He can be melodic, sweet, and aggressive all at the same time, but always keeping it along the lines of good taste.

Wear it out

                                        8.     Earth Wind and Fire



Source: http://www.legacyrecordings.com/a/#/artist/earth-wind--fire/1650/

One of my all-time favorite bands. These people have very awesome taste in music, and from the moment you hear any of their tracks, the sound becomes detectable within a second. They are the definition of professionalism and class. This band has set a very high standard for others to come. I just love to listen to them any day, any time. The sax solo is the stuff of legends (learn it and play it)….

Reasons

                                               9.     Gino Vanelli



Source: https://dunderbeck1980.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/gino-vannelli-the-legacy-of-an-unheralded-funkjazz-icon/

This amazingly talented artist made me want to better my understanding of his music. After learning about 50 of his songs I was not disappointed, there is so much schooling in these arrangements is ridiculous. You will never learn in school what you will learn with this artist.

Brother to brother



                                              10. Chick Corea



Source: http://revive-music.com/2012/06/12/happy-71st-to-chick-corea/

How could I put into words the amount of music and lessons I've learned from  this musical GURU’s work? He is a master at his craft. From the days of the Electric Band to his new materials, I’m a big FAN. I have studied his complexity and to be honest, some of his stuff I still can’t quite figure out, but I’m persistent and I love his music so I know one day I will.

King cockroach


This is just a very condensed list of some of my all-time favorite artists and their music, but there’s a lot more I left out that I will get to one way or the other in other posts to come. Enjoy my list and let me know what you learned!

God Bless.


Carlos Camilo 

(Author)(pianist/singer/arranger/producer/composer from Miami,FL).

www.carloscamilo.com  





1 comment: